Combining innovation and production
Based at the Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, this new £26m purpose-built, state of the art facility was formed by the amalgamation of Tayside Pharmaceuticals and the Pharmacy Production Unit based in NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde.
Combining innovation, commercial expansion and production, the building will manufacture medicines that are not commercially available as licensed products. This includes a range of eye drops, injections, infusions, creams, ointments and oral liquids which are required to meet the clinical needs of patients.
Background to the project
After a competitive tender process, T-SQUARED was commissioned to take responsibility for a RIBA Stage 3 design through to technical design and construction of the new facility.
The project consists of:
- Critical areas, each with dedicated environmental control systems
- High standard of room finishes
- Complex project management of a significant number of design and coordination interfaces
- Phased completion of a series of HVAC systems linked to a central utility system
- Site activities within a live, operational hospital
Scope of the project
T-SQUARED was responsible for the design, construct and validation of all manufacturing spaces, equating to about 75% of the facility footprint. Through close collaboration with the end user, we have designed all aspects of the regulated spaces including procurement and integration of some of the client’s manufacturing equipment.
Our scope included:
- Complete design and build, validation, and maintenance
- Flexible design to allow classified areas to be upgraded with minimal disruption in the future
- Enhanced process flows - people, product, waste
- Enhanced room adjacencies
- Grade B – Aseptic processing suite
- Grade B - Cytotoxic suite
- Grade B – Microbiology testing
- Grade B – Sterility testing
- Grade C – Manufacturing areas
- Grade D – Packing areas
- Sterilisation facilities and quality control laboratories
- Cleanrooms designed to cGMP standards
- 24/7/365 operation with facilities management responsibility
- MHRA compliant high quality bespoke finish throughout
- Building Management System (BMS)
- Validated Environmental Monitoring System (EMS)
- Environmental control with terminal high efficiency particulate air filters
- Highly regulated pressure regime
The new Grade D, C and B cleanroom facilities were handed over as planned in December 2018.